Resources provided by the CSG Veterinary Science Group
The Mission of the CSG Veterinary Science Group is to:
As part of this overall mission, the Veterinary Science group aims to compile information on selected topics, which will be posted on the CSG website as it becomes available (see Resources below).
At the 23rd CSG Working Meeting (May 2014), attendees to the Veterinary Science Group side-meeting were asked to provide their details, such that a list could be posted on the CSGF website. This list could serve as a resource for CSG members and non-members seeking advice on veterinary matters.
CSG members interested in being involved with the Veterinary Science group and being included on the list (see below) should send their details (full name, e-mail, interest/expertise, country) to Dr. Cathy Shilton (Cathy.Shilton@nt.gov.au) or Dr. Paolo Martelli (email@example.com). An updated list, including e-mail addresses, is available from Dr. Shilton or Dr. Martelli.
Fritz Huchzermeyer Veterinary Science Research Assistance Scheme
In honour of the late Dr. Fritz Huchzermeyer, in mid-2014 the Veterinary Science group established the "Fritz Huchzermeyer Veterinary Science Research Assistance Scheme" (FHVSRAS), with the specific goal of encouraging and assisting undergraduate and post-graduate students to undertake formal research to advance crocodilian veterinary science. Click here for details.
1.1. Step by Step Guide and Reporting Form for the Necropsy of Crocodilians (English) (Dr. Paolo Martelli and Dr. Fritz Huchzermeyer)
1.2. Guia Paso por Paso y Formato de Reporte para la Necropsia de Crocodilianos (Espanol) (Dr. Paolo Martelli and Dr. Fritz Huchzermeyer, translated by Luis Sigler)
1.3. Manuel Operatoire et Formulaire pour la Realisation d'Autposies de Crocodiliens (Francais) (Dr. Paolo Martelli and Dr. Fritz Huchzermeyer, translated by Dr. Samuel Martin)
2. Literature relating to crocodilian immobilization (compiled by Dr. Annabelle Olsson)
3. Manual for Parasite Collection and Preservation (Dr. Marisa Tellez)
4. A Checklist of Host-Parasite Interactions of the Order Crocodylia (Dr. Marisa Tellez; University of California Press, Berkeley). Dr. Tellez has also provided a Crocodile-Parasite Data Sheet (Excel format) that summarises current knowledge on crocodile-parasite interactions for different species. Literature cited in this document are available in "A Checklist of Host-Parasite Interactions of the Order Crocodylia".
Sebekia mississippiensis Timoniella loosi Dujardinascaris waltoni
(lung) (intestine) (stomach)
5. Link to the Histopathology site (Spectrum WebViewer) Click here for a list of available tissues.
6. Crocodilian Laboratory Diagnostics and Necropsy Reference List (compiled by Dr. Cathy Shilton)
7. Crocodilian Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics Overview: Haematology and Clinical Biochemistry (Dr. Cathy Shilton)
8. Crocodile Necropsy: Procedure and Appearance of Tissues (Saltwater Crocodile Crocodylus porosus) (Dr. Cathy Shilton)
9. Crocodile Necropsy: Examples of Lesions in Farmed Saltwater (Crocodylus porosus) and Freshwater (C. johnstoni) Crocodiles (Dr. Cathy Shilton
Measuring serum protein Blood smear Septic croc heterophils & monocytes Measuring haematocrit
10. Euthanasia/Killing Methods for Crocodilians.